Friday 19 December 2014

Research point - Pets and other animals

I went a bit scatter gun with my research and found Russian artist Svetlana Petrova 
adding photos of her cat to old masters which is completely irrelevant to this project but made me smile. Also David Zambeck's painting Tenticle caught my eye with the way it creeps over four canvases. It's painted in acrylic and suggests rather than shows the form of the tentacle. I think it would be a fun though rather creepy thing to put on a wall.
Qing Qi's oil and acrylic painting Kingfisher captures the energy of the bird taking off and the colour without being completely realistic. He has used splodges of paint to suggest the water from which the bird has just risen which is very effective.

Getting more on the subject Louise Pallister  captures the aliveness of her subjects. I like her mixed media pictures best. She states that she is seeking to depict animals in a way that is not illustrative and doesn't feel like pet portraiture and I think she has succeeded.  It takes a long time to load but the link here is worth the wait.

Justine Osborne has a more traditional approach to the positioning of her subject but draws in charcoal in a lovely lively sketchy manner.

I work with dogs and cats so I am very sensitive to the way they position themselves. This means that I often struggle with less representative images because they look as though they will collapse. Valerie Davide gets through my realism barrier with pictures that aren't entirely lifelike but feel substantial. She is also using charcoal.
Cats currently seem to get a very bad deal with lots of cutesy cartoons and bad drawings Gayle Mason gets it right for me particularly her monochrome cats with a splash of colour using pencil.
On the whole I favour liveliness of line over accuracy in other peoples work but strive for dull perfectionism in my own. Is recognising this the first stage of fixing it?


No comments: