Saturday 28 February 2015

Exercise 1 - Developing your studies

I'm not particularly excited by any of my studies so far, I find landscapes very challenging. I went back to my reference photos and did some more pencil sketches.
I think the top right and the third on the left are the most promising, but I'm also not finished with the view down the hill from the last exercise. Applying the composition techniques from the last research point I get this
Which I drew with Aquatone sticks and applied a little water
Its not very exciting and I don't like the bush on the right hand side.
Maybe better cropped? It has a very 1920's feel but I think its just boring
 Some more studies using Aquatone sticks

 and with Tombow markers
Not as good as the preliminary sketches. I tried again with markers and used water to loosen the marks. The paper is rather small so I worked at an angle

This is a technique I've tried before but I think this time it's a bit of a mess. How about charcoal?
It lacks definition, too hesitant with the shades of grey. Lets try and be bolder. I went back to my earlier drawing from the 360 degree studies which is the only drawing I've been reasonably happy with.

I smeared my paper with blue pastel for the sky then drew the trees with charcoal.
I like this better but I'm worried I haven't added anything much to the original photo and only colour to the drawing. It also doesn't conform to the rules of composition apart from the horizon being about 1/3 of the way up the paper .

No comments: