Sunday 26 April 2015

Project 2 Exercise 1 - Quick studies

St Albans Art Society organise life drawing sessions in the winter so I'm using drawings that I did in these sessions for this part of the course. In a group of 30 people I'm not in the position to direct the model but I think the poses and the timed drawings are similar to what the course demands. These quick studies were done over a number of evenings using different models. Most of them were 1 or 2 minute poses.
 one minute poses with the model turning on the spot. Sepia conte.
 I ran out of paper so I continued onto this sheet
 A different evening and a different model. Also sepia conte.
This is my attempt to overlay the images. I find this really tricky as I get the individual figures mixed up so I used different colours of crayon for each pose. It was a bit feint so I've messed with the brightness and contrast on the computer. I'm sorry I read the instructions and it says don't use line.....

10 minute studies
Again using conte, using the side of the stick to suggest volume.
 I draw quite quickly so I had time to have a second go at the legs. I'm not happy with either attempt.
but I like this one.
This is Tombow marker. The main study took 10 minutes. I can't remember for the second sketch, it's not part of the exercise but I was being economical with paper....
Graphite stick
Brush and watercolour. 
I sit on the floor as there are tables that obscure the view and give me an excuse not to draw feet. You can see how this has changed my perspective in this drawing!
Charcoal
Charcoal and conte
Looking at my stack of drawings (not all scanned in!) I realise I tend to stick to conte or water-soluble crayons. I need to push myself to be more adventurous with media when the sessions restart in the autumn. All these drawings are on A3 paper, I find anything smaller makes me do cramped drawings and I can't handle bigger sheets. Some days the drawings work, some days I can't get it right but I find the experience both useful and strangely meditative.

No comments: