Monday 27 April 2015

Research Point

I sat down to watch the first episode of John Berger's "Ways of Seeing" and ended up watching all 4 in the series. It was fascinating on many levels. At the suggestion of my tutor I read his book Berger on Drawing, he is an engaging commentator with gentle but thought provoking style. The glimpse back into the 1970s was fascinating and he has lots of interesting things to say about Art and the way we view the world. Well worth a look. 
Looking at artists who have worked with the figure I started with Leonardo da Vinci who prepared the way for figure drawing as we know it with his anatomical studies.
Its hard to believe that Egon Schiele died in 1918. Sadly I missed the exhibition of his work last year, his work reminds me of the images that surrounded the punk movement, (obviously it should be the other way round)
Lucian Freud created nudes that were brutally honest but somehow beautiful too, I've referenced his work before for his dog paintings but I love his human figures too.
Although his work is very much about pattern Gustav Klimt relies on figures both to complement the patterned images and to give substance to the suggestion of fabric and clothing. 
I would love this book by William C. M. Cadenhead A Philsophy of Drawing The pages shown are so 
simple but beautifully drawn. 
Wil Freeborn is a contemporary illustrator who I discovered through the Urbansketchers group. Best known for his line and watercolour pictures of coffee shops in the Glasgow area he occasionally posts  beautiful figure drawings.

No comments: