Saturday 28 November 2015

Reflection on Drawing 1

I did this module as it is the gateway to Drawing 2 but I learnt a lot more from it than I expected. This is my 4th and final level 1 course and it has raised more questions than the previous modules maybe because I am starting to think more like a higher education student than a hobbyist. What constitutes drawing? Why do we do it? What is it's place in the modern world with the availability of photoshop and where nearly everyone has access to a camera?
Challenging myself with different materials and techniques has undermined my confidence a bit as I struggle to create something that I still find visually pleasing. Because I have drawn for a long time without receiving formal instruction I place too much emphasis on the technique and not enough on what I want the viewer to get from looking at my drawings. To really embrace education I need to find the confidence to let go of being representative and realistic but I still want to draw like myself not be a pencil for hire working to produce someone else's visions.
As ever some drawings worked and some didn't. These are the ones that I am pleased with, I would love to know if you prefer others.











No comments: