Saturday 3 September 2011

A Menu Card

Started with some doodling in my  sketchbook


I experimented with combining 2 doodles
I also did a simple doodle on my phone which
I quite like. It has punch but it was just too quick and easy to do I felt that I would be cheating to use it so I went back to the computer and looked for some more ideas



The drawings were from images I found on google (ignore the cut out for the moment it comes later)
I liked the idea of creating a fishy scaly effect with potato or sponge printing. There are several pages of these which I won't bore you with. The top one was made with a carrot and a piece of spongy packing material cut to a basic fish shape, you can see the outline of the cutout in the bottom left corner.

The second one was a piece of sponge (both used gouache)
I then drew around my fish in pencil

I like it but it's not suitable for the brief
I drew a fish shape on the carrot print scales which I cut out and stuck in my sketchbook, you saw it earlier. Then I thought the carrot print looked more like a shoal of fish and drew into it
I like this best, maybe it needs rotating?

It works at 4cm x 4cm and could easily be enlarged. I would have preferred the colours to be a bit bolder but I don't easily work with bright colour (unless you count the phone image which could also work)

No comments: