Wednesday 4 September 2013

Point of Sale Display - Part 2

More experimental drawings



Which could lead to;



I'm not sure I'm happy with where I'm going with this project. I checked out other student's responses and I think I'm approaching it too much like an illustrator.

Using the fabulous This is Colossal website http://www.thisiscolossal.com  I found the work of Sarah Hillenberger
http://www.sarahillenberger.com/index.php?c=workshow&p=642_strangefruits
and Florent Ignant http://www.ignant.de/2013/01/21/a-colourful-winter/
I'm not a photographer but if I was a rich design executive I would commission them for my project!

Pret a Manger packaging is good
I toyed with a theme based around let us grow your own for you but decided to return to fruit and vegetable sums

Some sketchbook ideas on the black (blackboard) background
 I wanted to include the cabbage as it could be read as a lettuce if that fitted the viewers frame of mind but I struggled to do a decent, appetising, drawing. The image above is 3 pages stitched together to make it better for you to view, hence the bottom cabbage appears one and a half times. I haven't left anything out but I think it's easier on a single sheet.
Using the prototype cabbage drawings and the research I did earlier with the carrots and tomatoes one sheet would be;

 
Is it too dark?
brightening it up makes the cabbage less appetising.
 
So for the fruit I chose oranges and bananas because I love the look of a cut orange and the banana looks like a smile (and is one of the most popular fruit) I drew some bananas for my earlier experiments so  I just needed a little practice with the oranges

I decided that although several oranges gave a nice display it would only take one to fulfil the 5 a day and it made a better face if viewed out of the corner of your eye which is the target audience. (This is being inconsistent with the vegetable display which has more than one carrot and tomato..)
 with a bit of computer manipulation.....

 
 which alongside each other would look like this
It might have benefitted from a more bendy banana? Is it eye catching enough and have I lost the blackboard effect by making the background blacker? Also I wonder if I should have emulated market traders writing rather than schoolteachers - I was trying to appeal to the pupils at the primary school but as blackboards are a thing of the past these days they probably don't understand the reference...
 
Ooops just noticed it was supposed to be A1 landscape. I moved to portrait format because I thought it was more striking, but never mind, instead you get;
 and
 
 

No comments: