Thursday 31 October 2013

Understanding colour

The trouble with colour is that I like or dislike it depending on how and where it's used so I don't think there are any colours I truly dislike but I have tried to be fairly general here

Colours I don't like

Colours I like
Rather worryingly the grids do not reproduce faithfully here. The colours I like were brighter in my computer generated original. What I feel about a colour depends so much on how the colours are laid out and what is next to them. To be fair I've tried to set both grids to be as flattering as possible. I still don't like the top grid as much because the colours are a bit garish so I think I've failed on this exercise.

I did some research and found this lovely colour emotion layout by Naomi Finn
http://naomifinngraphicdesign.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/first-image-is-colour-wheel-of-emotions.html
Lots of the supposed mood characteristics of colours don't feel right to me but Abbie Stabby is closer to the way I feel
http://abbiestabby.wordpress.com/2013/02/27/colour-wheel-psychology-emotions/

At first I thought I would use coloured pencils as they gave a restricted but broad range of colours
But I quickly decided that there were an enormous number of possibilities and I would need to select colours to represent the mood.
I did play with an alternative layout just for fun

Then I went back to the computer and made myself a chart


I found that my perception of the characteristics of the colours was changed by the contrast of two colours alongside each other and that the colours I see on my computer don't look quite as different when they are lifted from the colour chart. I have swapped and changed these and there are some moods I'm still not sure of but at the moment I think this is as close as I can get.

No comments: