Saturday 5 April 2014

Research point Book covers

Natasha Nuttall has said everything I could possibly want to say here about Penguin Books. The designs are iconic and it is fascinating to see how they have evolved whilst remaining recognisably from the same company.
Looking at my families book collection there are a variety of publishers but my eldest, Tom, has the best collection of series like these James Bond books reissued in 2002
 There is a nod to the original layout but they differ from other Penguin titles in my collection and the image on the front is inconsistent even though it looks as though they were published at the same time
 These books by different authors and published at different times are only recognisable as Penguin titles by the logo.

 In my research I came across this clever ad campaign which trades on the recognisable house style

 I also looked at the Swallows and Amazons books which were published by Red House which is the children's division of Random House (incidentally now part of the Penguin group following a merger in 2013) The red Swallows and Amazons book was published before the others in his collection. The typography in the rest of the series is the same and similar colours are used but I think the images of the boats are stronger than those with the children in.




This YouTube clip has interviews with cover designers giving some background to what they are trying to achieve with their designs and how they approach the task.

1 comment:

Graphique Fantastique said...

Thanks for the mention and I'm glad that you liked my post. Your collection is interesting - I wish I could collect every Penguin book ever!