Monday 12 January 2015

Exercise 1 - Quick sketches around the house

I'm glad I've only got a small house. I draw quite quickly and this has taken me ages. I started in the spare bedroom using a fineliner. Its full of my grown up kids stuff....
This is 2 views, one per page

They were quite quick sketches but maybe there is too much detail? When I progressed to my bedroom I switched to Tombow pens in light blue and fawn. This first picture is a very quick sketch but doesn't tell you much about the layout of the room.


Using 2 colours makes things clearer but maybe lets me get into too much detail
I'm sure this is far too detailed but I do like this drawing.
I moved on to the bathroom. The blue doesn't show up as well on the web as it does in real life or when scanned




 In the sitting room we still had the tree up when I started, this is fineliner and coloured pencil

The fireplace
Back to blue and fawn Tombow markers. (The blue blob is a beanbag)
Felt tip pen and coloured pencil, again the blue blob is a beanbag
In the kitchen I sat on the worktop and used Tombow markers in dark grey. Some were drying up a bit so the tone is a bit varied

I've done this view before


Trying to be very simple in the dining room. This is a view I have drawn on many occasions


I was surprised that when I was trying to be loose and spontaneous with my drawings the perspectives were reasonably accurate. The drawings that I liked best were of areas where there is a lot of detail, the shelves in the bedrooms and the kitchen cupboards. I like found arrangements. I've drawn most of the areas on many occasions but I've never drawn in the bedrooms at this house or in the bathroom anywhere! The markers work well for me as long as they're not too strong colours. I don't use a rubber when I'm drawing in pencil and I couldn't understand why I often find black ink so daunting but I think it is because I like to start with feint lines and then strengthen them when I know where the drawing is going. This has been a useful exercise because I've only just discovered that.

No comments: