Monday 1 August 2016

Project 4: An emotional response


The brief calls for 10 characteristics of someone found in a novel or newspaper article. 
They are supposed to be written by other people but I want  a good range of emotions and doubt that I will be able to adequately explain the idea to my scientific and literal friends and family. I looked at the range of emotions and found this info graphic.
Instead I used items from the news and magazines.

  1. I think people in this country have had enough of experts.
  2. I never forgot about the girl I used to be.
  3. I crave freedom and creativity more than stability and security.
  4. I don't want him to suffer.
  5. I'm so tired I never want to wake up again.
  6. I am weird, weird is good. 
  7. I did not kill my daughter.
  8. I am a sunday morning inside 4 walls with clean blood and organised drawers.
  9. I am the hurricane setting fire to the forests at night when no one else is alive or awake.
  10. I saw people die every day in the camp as a result of hunger and poor nutrition.

I compared them to the emotions on the wheel and decided that the range of evoked emotions was too complex to neatly fit into the categories but I could loosely apply all 8 stem categories so I am happy that I have a wide range to work from.

The range of emotions makes it difficult to imagine a coherent drawing but maybe that's what the brief is looking for. I prefer to use myself as a model because it leaves me free to be as expressive and unflattering as I like. I shuffled my cards and set the timer on my phone for 10 minutes, resetting every time I picked a new card. I used a small mirror thinking at the start that I would draw myself piecemeal but found that impossible if I wanted to capture emotion at the same time so I used my imagination a bit because I wanted views that were difficult to get in the mirror.

I'm not sure that mixed media was the best idea but I was trying to use the medium to convey emotion. I think that there might be a better way of doing this. I divided the paper into 10 segments and loosely drew a seated figure then drew a section randomly assigned to a statement using pink, green, purple and ochre crayons. The style of drawing was dictated by my emotional response to the statement and I blended the edges slightly but the differences are too stark. 


If I'm being charitable I could say that there are similarities to Peter Blake's Self Portrait with Badges but I whilst I like a lot of Peter Blake's work I'm not fond of that picture, it's too symmetrical and static. I think that the  finished picture looks like something from a children's game or cheap picture book.

Reflection


To what extent did your emotional and physical responses fuse? 
In the first drawing I felt much more emotionally engaged. I think that this was in part because I hadn't set myself too many boundaries, and partly because the statements were reasonably fresh to me. Because my only boundaries were the edges of the paper and the materials available to me I could be more physical with my gestures. Ten statements are a lot of emotions and there is inevitably a degree of repetition. Maybe the idea of this is to steep the student in a soup of emotions but emotions become dulled by repetition.


Did this change as you progressed with the exercise? 
In the second drawing my responses had been dulled by familiarity. I would like to do this exercise with statements that I hadn't heard before.


Did you find yourself able to respond emotionally and physically at one and the same time? 
I think I need more space for a single emotion to really engage with the physicality of drawing in response to it.

Feedback

Both my tutor and I agreed that I haven't released the potential in this project. After discussions I felt that the graphic animation style of William Kentridge could be used to animate the work. Technically this was challenging, I have only my phone to film with and I had trouble mounting it so that it could see what I was doing so please excuse the quality of this film. 



It was very much an experiment and I need to think about whether I should plan what I draw or edit the finished film as well as working out how to better film what I am actually drawing but this might have a place in future projects or could be something worth returning to.

No comments: