Thursday 16 February 2017

Assignment 4 revisited

Following my tutor feedback I knew that I hadn't really finished with this assignment. My conclusion with the bollard project was that the binoculars were too small and it was just cowardice that was stopping me from redrawing them bigger.
Here they are redrawn and ready to go. I've played with the colours to try and get more contrast against the black of the bollard.
They show up reasonably well against a black background in the dark.
 So here they are in place.




They still don't show up very well and I'm not convinced that the idea works. If you hadn't followed my thoughts as I designed them and prepared them would you understand what they are? I'm not sure.

The fire drawings were considered interesting but predictable in colour and too neatly contained within the paper edges.
I used different types of paper
I like the shapes that burning makes and the way that the edges are jagged and curved. I experimented with using the burnt sheets as stencils, spraying through to transfer the shapes to another sheet.
There was a bit of an incident with the airbrush here...



It worked better when I was more restrained with the colour.

But when the background was overlaid with the another burnt sheet the effect was a bit better.

I drew through the shapes and coloured them in.
I quite like these, they are like bats, or leaves blown in the wind. The arrangement of the shapes is completely random, maybe I should have been more deliberate with the arrangement.
Alternatively I coloured the burnt sheet and glued it to a coloured background. This is supposed to represent the feeling of looking through trees

Alternative version where I kept the poker marks at the same angle. This reminded me of bamboo

This is too regular to be interesting and the shapes are dull. It's a bit more interesting if the lines are vertical.



No comments: