Saturday 31 December 2011

Exercise - Your Own Work

Ahh this one's difficult because I'm naturally adverse to making decisions and I can always see where I could have done better but there are some images that stick out
Collage has given me some interesting outcomes. I think this cat is quite decorative, might look nice on a card or a mug? I think he could become a character in his own right if he had a story to go with.
Journey looks far better than anything I thought I could create. I could see this as an editorial image.
The fish, were another pleasant surprise because they look like someone else's work. They're a bit delicate and might like some fine china to swim on.

The fruit on coloured paper really worked well. I like coloured pencil on a toned background. I can express myself without having to think too hard about the media I'm using but I don't know what to do with it. I guess decorative illustration or an artists print but I've never had much success in selling pictures, I suppose it depends on where it's marketed.
I like doing careful detailed drawings. Andrea Joseph produces similar work and makes lovely zines.
I guess when I review my sketchbooks I'm pretty obsessed with figures human or animal. These are some fairly typical pages from my current sketchbook



I need to improve my skills at telling a story and build my confidence to sketch in public. I am very attracted to reportage/documentary illustration, Matthew Cook, George Butler, Veronica Lawlor, Danny Gregory  www.urbansketchers.org
When I pluck up the courage I enjoy myself.  This one drawing from a series I did at a local steam fair, see the rest on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/43484815@N08/sets/72157626768206023

 and I'm not sure how to get my work noticed. I suppose the local paper might be interested especially if I tried to do a short story about the event to go with it. Or maybe I need to be more proactive with my blog

2 comments:

Rob Hughes said...

Lovely work, the strength of your drawing skills really show through...

Cal Hoy said...

Thanks Rob. I'm struggling with the travel guides at the moment......