Sunday 1 January 2012

Editorial Illustration - Throwing your money away.

Maybe it's a bad time of year for this exercise. Yesterdays Times had no illustrations in it's colour magazine or in the listings section. In the rest of the paper there were a few cartoons and a map, a logo that I think appears every week in the travel section, a nice lino cut style illustration for a small piece on wild parakeets and a colourful picture to illustrate a piece about the Olympics.


There was also a clever advert but that's not an editorial illustration
There were 3 illustrations in the money section  including this one which lifted the image directly from the text;

"...EU leaders are finally reaching the the end of the road down which they can kick the can. And the sign at the end reads "Exit for Greece"



 I decided I'd better do "Throwing your money away"
What is the article about? It could simply be from a money saving viewpoint or it could have an ecological or charitable slant. There is a blog where someone leaves money in  takes photos of money in unusual places and takes photos http://throwmoneyaway.tumblr.com/ and Duy Nguyen has written a book showing how to fold dollar bills into aeroplanes to throw dollar bill airplanes

The classic illustration for this is a bin stuffed with money.
The article I have chosen appeared online in January 2011 at tiphero
I liked the way the Journey picture worked so I tried similar

I'm not sure its going in the right way so I made my rough more detailed


Then tried some colour
Struggling as usual with colour schemes so I looked online at www.colorschemer.com for some ideas

Not sure if it's helped


I still think the black and white has more punch and makes more sense, maybe a bit better with a black background?

I'm going to step away from this and have a little think whether I can come up with something better. 

No comments: