Sunday 25 March 2012

Assignment 5 Seven Days

Such a broad brief. Where to start?
 I thought about nursery rhymes, festivals, a news story that unfolded over seven days and some old fashioned advice to a housewife which had her washing on Mondays, ironing on Tuesdays etc.

I've often thought it would be interesting to draw a plant like a daffodil every day from the flower budding through blooming to dying off. So moving on from that I thought of the story of Jack and the Beanstalk which could be spread over seven days from planting to chopping down.
Some studies for figures;


and for the beanstalk

 and I needed a giant who would look a bit fierce but not too scary. I sketched some famous figures not too accurately to get some ideas
then created my giant

 I also wanted to make the story slightly three dimensional so I played with  scrap paper and pop up engineering
I didn't know what medium to use but wasn't really happy with the way this collage was going
(and the computer insists on putting it upside down....)

because of the way the design has evolved it's difficult to properly show the staged of evolution. I started on day 6 and worked backwards. Here are some of the roughs;





No comments: