Sunday 8 April 2012

Seven Days-the finished story

So to complete the story it needs colour. I started with coloured pencil
 I wanted simple block colour, nothing too complicated or too busy, it's become a picture book.

I've done a little computer manipulation to make the colour "sing" but it's not quite what I'm looking for. I coloured the whole story and assembled it but it wasn't quite right. What the story was screaming out for was watercolour which I'm not that experienced with.











I think these work better though when I scanned this I noticed a missing leaf which I've added for the final version. The last 3 pages are too big to fit in my scanner so I photographed them with my phone

For the cover I thought I would include the seeds
 I did some studies using runner bean seeds and coloured pencils/watercolour

and thought about including a hand but it doesn't fit in. I tried some roughs in my sketchbook and eventually settled on this. The letters were covered with masking fluid and I painted on a watercolour wash. The masking fluid didn't cover as well as I'd hoped for so the lettering became a bit distorted. The colour of the beans is much richer than I could have hoped for

The pages alone don't give a proper idea of how the booklet tells the story so with the help of my eldest son I videoed it. It's a bit wobbly but it gives you an idea.
 

2 comments:

Rob said...

Brilliant! love the fold-out tree and giant... very inspiring, and lovely drawings. This would make a great kids book!

Cal Hoy said...

Thanks Rob. It was difficult to get started but great fun once I got the idea. Hard to show online, so good to know it makes sense to someone who hasn't seen it in real life!