Saturday 11 January 2014

Exercise - Playing with Words

I think best with a pencil so when I cut out and repositioned the words I also doodled alternative lettering.




I then went to the computer and tried different fonts - I've written the name of the font next to the word





Some words like supine and sardonic I had to look up. Supine is difficult. I wasn't sure whether style referred to stylish or different styles so my choice of fonts is a slight blend of the two. Some of the words like squat seem so cartoonish its difficult not to choose a silly font. Informal Roman reminds me of Wacky Races Cartoons.
The choice of fonts must be heavily influenced by my past experiences, books, products, TV etc. There is a danger that someone with different cultural influences wouldn't understand my choices.

Thrirty words is a lot to get through. I'm not as comfortable in front of a computer as I am with a drawing book and I found it hard to stay focussed. I did this in several long chunks. There are a lot of fonts on my computer and even looking through them each time I was still finding ones I'd overlooked. It's a lot harder to choose subtle fonts which are suitable. I see the skill of a good designer following this exercise.

These are (in my opinion) my best attempts:

No comments: