Saturday 22 March 2014

Exercise Magazine pages - Part 1

I chose to analyse the Veterinary Nursing Journal partly because of the simplicity of it's layout. A lot of the magazines I looked at were distractingly busy which made it difficult to see the underlying grid and visually unattractive.

The magazine is A4 and uses FF DIN Bold for headers and titles and Minion for the body text. The main colours are green and blue but orange and purple are also used and pale orange and lilac are used in some text boxes.
The Magazine feels "clean" because there is a generous use of white space and minimal advertising which tends to be laid out as whole page spreads.
 In my mockup I have used Segoe Semibold and Times New Roman to replicate the typefaces in the originals. Publisher can't cope with anything right on the margins so I've moved the top bar down a little so that it can be read. (My cats acted as models....)

I tried some alternative layouts still using the original grid as a reference point. I like more white space  but this may make the reader feel that the magazine has nothing to say which may not be a good message for a scientific journal...
I'm not really happy with the colours either, orange always looks cheap to me and green is traditionally associated with the veterinary industry.

 Green and dark purple is easy to read but I prefer the lighter green with a blue (below) I think this looks fresh, clean and modern

No comments: