Wednesday 31 December 2014

Exercise 3 Live animals using line and tone

I've done this exercise out of order as I can borrow some bones for the tonal study but not until next week. Some of the drawings in the line exercise probably fall into the tone category and some of the work here is more line than tone. I've not been very successful in following instructions in my attempts to capture the image. I started by trying to draw my daughters cockateil Frankie, something I have attempted on many occasions
I used A3 sugar paper a graphite stick and oil pastel for the colour. I found it difficult to get tone because he was small and kept moving so I tried drawing my dog in coloured pencil on A4 coloured paper from Apsley Paper Mill.

It is more line than tone so I tried some more studies with a graphite stick on a larger sheet of paper
Eric the cat walked in part way through and I got distracted and drew him too. I like the drawings of him better than the dog drawings.

more cat studies
My final drawings were with graphite stick on A4 paper because it was easier to hold when drawing from life with a cat who could get up and change position at any moment.
I deliberately didn't draw the background which was a bean bag. I've drawn a lot of animals on bean bags and the lines can be a bit distracting

No comments: