Wednesday 10 December 2014

Exercise 4 - Monochrome

The brief says a man made object and a natural one. I thought of a shell in the bathroom or logs and fir cones in my fireplace but settled on eggs in an egg box, I've treated myself to some fancy blue eggs which come in a blue box but I'd already used 2 so I saved the shells & did some studies in blue pencil in my sketchbook.
Sorry the top left picture is a bit feint. I like the layout at bottom right. I have some duck egg blue sugar paper but it doesn't do justice to the blue of the shells so I used white paper and coloured pencil
because I wanted to study the detail of the shape of the egg box
It needs some contrast to wake it up so I used a blue graphite pencil
I can't seem to make the broken eggshells make sense though they look better compressed on the screen. As ever I really struggled to make the picture A3 size. Also the most left hand corner of the egg box is too big but maybe you wouldn't have noticed that if I didn't point it out? There's too much of a line around the eggs (partly picked up by the scanner) so I've tried to fix that.
I think this is going to be as good as it gets but the eggs are white not blue so in the interests of accuracy I ought to fix that...
Just added the lighter blue here and I've lost some of the contrasts.
I think the broken shells make more sense now but the left hand corner of the box is starting to look worse so although I probably ought to carry on I'm going to stop. I think I was wrong to want to stop at the earlier version and pushing forward has made it better so with that in mind I should carry on but the paper isn't taking the pencil as well now so I'm going to step away and see what I think tomorrow.

No comments: