Friday 17 April 2015

Assignment 3 - Reflection

There are two alternative versions of my submission for Assignment 3.
I'm lucky enough to have an A3 scanner so I'm challenged by trying to photograph A2 size using my phone. I apologise for the quality of the pictures.
This first version in the park is what I expected the assignment was asking for. There are natural objects and straight lines. Both linear and atmospheric perspective. My problem is that I don't find the picture exciting. I find landscapes difficult because they force me to look at the big picture (literally) and I'm a detail person. They also demand attention to composition and I think that is very difficult. I think this is an adequate picture but it's not good enough working at degree level.


This second picture caught my interest more. It still has natural objects, straight lines and perspective but it is a less predictable response to the brief. I could spend a lot more time on this part of the assignment to develop it further. I haven't got the perspective quite right. Partly that is due to working large on A2 paper and "making up" the perspective. Having decided a dynamic layout for my scaffolding I need to go and take some photos or do some drawings of real scaffolding to support the theory. A prepared background would give a more finished picture but that might make it less interesting. It might help to use a ruler loosely at the start to get the basic lines of the poles straight, then draw the bulk of the poles over it.

I am leaving things here for the moment as my submission deadline looms....

No comments: