Wednesday 29 July 2015

Tutor feedback

I was introduced to Tate Shots which is a series of very short videos in which an artist discusses their work. They are quite addictive because they are so short you find yourself watching just one more and at the end can't remember where you started. The artist I was sent to look at was Nigel Cooke and his painting New Accursed Art Club it was fascinating to see the various stages that the painting went through to arrive at it's finished state. There's also a short video here where he explains some of the ideas behind his paintings.

I've looked at Colin Crotty's work before. On one hand I like it and the feeling of mystery it conveys but I also find the pictures slightly disturbing. Maybe I'm a wimp but I wouldn't want to live with one of his pictures or meet it alone on a dark night. His backgrounds are interesting, sparse and simple but in keeping with the rest of the image.

It was suggested that I look at the British Figure exhibition at the Flowers Gallery Ken Currie's Transfigurations was disturbing but I loved Maggi Hambling's Amanda Seated Wearing Boots I wasn't very taken with the painting Krishenda but I was introduced to the work of Ishbel Myerscough I particularly liked her description of drawing here. Typically, I like her drawings better than her paintings though this friendship painting is great.

Nick Millers Truckscapes are my sort of landscape, complicated and detailed they draw you into the picture. I like the way he draws his own lopsided piece of frame into some of his pictures and distorts the angle of view in the foreground.

I'm not quite as sure about Anita Groener The tree scape's are very detailed but the more abstract work is difficult to appreciate on a computer. Making all those little marks would drive me mad so I appreciate her craft. They remind me of Richard Long's Mississippi River Blues which I liked at the RA summer exhibition, I would never have appreciated this picture unless I had seen it in real life.

Eugine Delacroix did some beautifully lively drawings and certainly managed to capture movement. This picture sums up his drawings (it's also worth looking at the other drawings on the site I love John Singer Sargent)

A lot of Diana Copperwhite's paintings seem unfinished to me but I do like Your Friends are Electric Oil which is more figurative and easier to understand.

Peter Blake is such a versatile artist he must have done something for everyone to enjoy. I don't like Self portrait with badges but his 1949 Self Portrait manages to make a conventional pose look interesting.

No comments: