Wednesday 5 August 2015

Formula Student - Drawings on location

I feel that I've drawn myself into a corner with the skaters and I'm not quite sure where to go next. I took my sketchbook to Formula Student at Silverstone to follow on with the theme of drawing action from life.
 There were lots of people ranging around working on the cars
 Or just chatting. I added colour to this when I got home - I was attracted to the lady in the coloured shawl who stood out like a peacock in amongst the student crews who were predominantly dressed in black.
There were a lot of people sitting around waiting for their cars  Above is a small sketch of a group where I experimented with a semi continuous line.

Spectators with colour added at home. Not much movement here.
Drawings done at home from reference photos taken on my phone. Again not much movement.

Although I enjoyed drawing and trying to capture the event on the whole I've not managed to place my figures within their environment. Apart from the last drawings I don't think that there is much sense of narrative here either.

Continuing my research I found that Lucas Museum in Chicago is dedicated to narrative art.

No comments: