Tuesday 21 October 2014

Exercise- Shadows and reflected light and shade

Still on the lookout for shiny objects I cleaned the kettle and found the missing lid of the flask from one of the previous drawings.
As I used A2 paper it was too big for my scanner so I had to take a dodgy photo with my phone hence the orange cast. The flask isn't very shiny so I dug out some balti dishes which don't have a lot of surface to reflect with. I put them on a black surface and added a sheet of paper to give me something to reflect.
I had trouble keeping the white areas white and the putty rubber tended to partially lift the charcoal to a light grey. I think my first attempt was better and that both of the drawings are stiff and overworked.
The new version of the course asks for a shiny object and a ceramic object to give contrast. I felt guilty I hadn't tried this so I had a go

 Guilt is not a good motivator for drawing. This is A2 and I just can't seem to work this big to my satisfaction. The drawing is tilted because I was working above my eye line. The pots are bigger than in real life and getting to that stage somehow just went wrong. I'm not pleased with this at all.

No comments: