Tuesday 13 August 2013

Exercise - Too much or not enough information - Part 2

When I think of minimal information to create good design I think of David Downton http://www.daviddownton.com/ who has said in interview that he looks at his pictures to see that he can take out without loosing the effect. Saul Bass also edited out excess information with his use of simple cutouts http://designmuseum.org/design/saul-bass

Christine Kim is exploring what can be left out in some of her work http://www.christinekim.ca/  especially with some of her cut paper collages. I think it's fine art rather than graphic design though the more I look at work listed as Graphic Design the more confused I am.

For background illustration I went back to some of the images generated in the first part
 I've played with collage in the past and I like the simple effect so I tried replicating the ideas this way

 I think the flaw in many of my previous designs is that the lettering looks like it's an afterthought (maybe because it often is...) also stock lettering may look too polished alongside the collage. With this in mind I cut out lettering.
 In the spirit of leaving unnecessary bits out I hope the picture of the boat speaks Canal, also the festival is about more than just boats.
 As a minimum it needs to have the date venue and time but I don't like this handwritten addition which looks amateurish . Partly I didn't plan it very well but also I'm not keen on my own handwriting.
 This version uses the collage to grab attention then adds the details for the interested observer in Batic Regular which I think is compatible with the collage.

The side view collage doesn't work as well for me. I added the lettering which is Elephant. I think it works with the image but the whole effect is a bit bland.
It may benefit from coloured lettering but I'm not sure how well that would stand out on a crowded noticeboard.

No comments: