Thursday 26 March 2015

Exercise 3 - A limited palette study

Inadvertently I've done this exercise with the last drawing but I thought I ought to do it consciously so I went back to the drawing of the community centre and pub.
Charcoal and conte on A3 looks a bit fuzzy
I tried being looser with my marks
and then I drew in graphite pencil, added colour with green and sepia coloured pencils then highlighted with a fineliner.
Better cropped maybe?
There was energy in the original drawing which got lost in this piece. The composition seems dull now. I tried repositioning it on the page.
The first 2 attempts look better as scanned images than they doing real life so I worked into them, added some skies and cropped them.


The top one is better, the bottom may benefit from a night sky?
Maybe a different medium? Dip pen and ink (black, green and brown) the a touch of green and brown crayon for the grass and the sky.
Ultimately I think that despite the promise of the initial drawing the scene is pretty dull.  A more oblique angle would have been better, the fact that the buildings are straight on is dull. For this exercise I still feel that the drawing from the previous exercise was the best.

No comments: