Thursday 26 March 2015

John Singer Sargent exhibition National Portrait Gallery.

See the National Portrait Galleries Website. 
His portraits are great but his drawings are my absolute favourites, particularly Gabriel Faure and Mrs Patrick Campbell (charcoal and pencil on paper) and Dame Ethel Mary Smith (black chalk paper) lovely confident sweeping lines.
Some of my notes from the exhibition. (the top left are skies drawn while I waited for my train which snuck in...) Vernon Lee was probably my favourite portrait, a lady of obvious character and I loved the way he hinted at her glasses with just a touch of paint. I tried to study his compositions which are an area I struggle with. His paintings are interesting for what the leave out (faces, features) as much as what they include.

No comments: