Sunday 19 February 2012

Working for children - Scary Part 1

Scary being my chosen word, not that working for children is scary!
Brainstorming

some ideas
I chose to use a dog as my character because dogs(especially big dogs) are scary to small children and I wanted to represent something scary being itself scared. I liked the idea of the dog being scared in traffic as this is a very sensible thing for a small child to be scared of.


These are a selection of the preliminary sketches that I did. I became a bit worried that the finished picture could be too scary for the age group.

but I think the preliminary drawing is acceptable.

I coloured it in. I find coloured pencil easy to express myself with and I remember as a child liking coloured pencil illustrations as they looked like something I could aspire to doing myself. Simply scanned the pictures were weak so I enhanced the edges and eroded them using Paintshop which made them bolder but kept the quality of the coloured pencil.

 This is my preferred final image, the next one where I made the road  darker has lost the punch I was looking for.

No comments: