Thursday 12 June 2014

Exercise - Chance Housing Association

This section is about branding and logos. I love logos though they are not all as memorable as they are intended to be, ask anyone who has played the Logo quiz on their phone.
Irritatingly the brief asks for a typographic logo, my favourites include images.


I looked at local estate agents and was a bit depressed at the lack of originality in the choice of typeface.

The agency is aiming itself at young people so I looked a typefaces that are used by organisations trying to appeal to a young market such as Facebook and Twitter

Typefaces 
Twitter Helvetica, Gotham Narrow, Segue UI
Facebook based on Klavic Bold
Flickr Frutiger

This seems to mean to me that I too will have to use a boring typeface. I did wonder about italics as the forward leaning is supposed to be optimistic but I haven't got anything that looks right
 The best way to look different is with colour. Nobody is using turquoise;

Turquoise, a blend of the colour blue and the colour green, has some of the same cool and calming attributes. The colour turquoise is associated with meanings of refreshing, feminine, calming, sophisticated, energy, wisdom, serenity, wholeness, creativity, emotional balance, good luck, spiritual grounding, friendship, love, joy, tranquillity, patience, intuition, and loyalty.

and there's not much orange;

Orange, the blend of red and yellow, is a mixture of the energy associated with red and the happiness associated with yellow. Orange is associated with meanings of joy, warmth, heat, sunshine, enthusiasm, creativity, success, encouragement, change, determination, health, stimulation, happiness, fun, enjoyment, balance, sexuality, freedom, expression, and fascination.

I lifted these great descriptions from Jennifer Bourn's Blog http://www.bourncreative.com/category/color-in-branding-design/ 

Orange is also associated with economy and good value, think Sainsburys.


Whilst looking for ideas I found this colour wheel I like the "blocky" feel of the colour, like someone has added it with a pallet knife.

More ideas using the Verdana typeface. I feel I should be able to make something of the fact that the first 3 letters of Chance are also it's initials but I'm not getting there yet, the overlaid words are just difficult to read.
Not yet happy so back to the sketchbook
Playing with ideas such as a path to the door a doormat or the key to the door I'm initially drawn to the doormat idea using Tekton Pro Ext which wasn't part of my original experiments but feels right for what I want to achieve.
Not sure this gives the right message and it goes "fuzzy" when I distort it so I went back to the key idea
I like the bottom one, it's simpler and doesn't shove the design origins in your face. It can be seen as a key but also on the right hand side as rooftops. I don't have anyone available at the moment to critique my ideas but if I have to present 3 to my client I would offer the doormat, the key and this (which I'm least fond of)
Hoping that my client agrees with me I tried different colour combinations, removing the rider "your key to the property market" which I would intend only to add to adverts and promotional material


I think the turquoise is best.

The presentation pack needs a letterhead I've used Eras Light for the address and contact details
 A business card I stuck with Tekton Pro for all of this as it is such a small space
and I would put them in a folder


The newspaper advert could look like this
 it also works in grayscale
This is what it could look like in the paper
I found this exercise really difficult. I don't think I have met the brief, the end result doesn't look different and I don't think it is particularly appealing to young people but I have hit a wall with ideas.

No comments: