Wednesday 4 June 2014

Poster and Flyer

Questions
  • 10.30am to 12.00 midday? It does say during the day so unlikely to be different but should check
  • Assume that the community centre is where the group meets & not the contact address
  • How long is the course?
  • Should probably note the year in case the flyers hang around and are found next year or beyond.

I looked around to see what real groups and societies use for their promotion and found this picture which doesn't fit the brief but I liked. Saul Bass is a good example of someone who conveys a message without using lots of unnecessary information and colour. I decided for this brief I needed to use existing typefaces rather than take the easy option again and draw my own. So I started with some sketchbook doodles

I thought it was better to avoid images as they could cloud the message especially if they weren't clear. SingOut looks and sounds like Sold Out
with a little manipulation you get
which can then be


I played around a bit and chose Broadway for the main bold type for it's association with the movies and Vani for the information for its clarity in a publication that is to be photocopied

This is for the front of the flyer. I decided to keep it simple and put the more detailed information on the back to be read once the potential singer had been attracted to the idea
The Sing Out stamp can appear on all the literature for consistency, so the back would look like this
I shuffled the text a little as I felt it was clearer and read better. I would need to get SingOut to agree to this before publication but if they didn't like it I could easily insert their original text.

The poster would look like this
I would like to print it on fluorescent paper to cheaply attract attention

Either yellow or green (avoiding pink to not alienate potential male singers!)
The major flaw in my plan is that I can't gaurantee that the flyer will be picked up and read from the front so the more cluttered back page may not be as attractive.
The poster may be a little cluttered with all the information on it and I'm not quite sure about the slanting text though when I shifted it I thought it looked a lot better than horizontal.
I'm not sure that SingOut would be happy with the stamp saying Sing Out either

No comments: