Tuesday 17 February 2015

Research point - Landscapes

The instructions suggest looking at the work of Albrecht Durer and the first image that appeared on my search was View of the Arco Valley in the Tyrol I like Durer's work very much and this is no exception, the man was a genius and the picture still looks fresh and interesting more than 500 years after it was painted. It's a shame it has suffered some damage over the years but if you are bothering to read my ramblings please click on the link and take a look, it's worth it. The British Museum says that when he was making landscape paintings and etchings they were an uncommon topic for artists and he was very much trail blazer for the genre. His style has a strong underlying drawing which I think is what attracts me to his work. See also The walkway street food market in Nuremberg or The Wire drawing mill which shows very well the foreground, middle ground and background.

I tried but I just can't get excited about Claude Lorain. Very clever use of paint and perspective,  but maybe he's just too painterly for me or maybe its the slightly biblical classical landscapes that I struggle with (or maybe I'm just not educated enough .... yet). Whilst researching him I came across Caspar David Friedrich  The sea of ice is also quite painterly but there is tension in the subject matter and the Abbey in the Oakwood is positively gothic.

I like L S Lowry, his landscapes are so busy with people and purpose, The Old House, Grove Street, Salford isn't really a landscape but it caught my eye.  His use of the white paper/canvas is interesting, by leaving large areas of white he avoids swamping his pictures within the background and leads your eye to the areas he wants you to see. Hillside in Wales is a more rural landscape and A Village Square is a more typical example of his work.

George Shaw's work is rooted in urban landscape his drawings such as Almost Lost are atmospheric and evocative.  His series 12 Short Walks looks at places around his home town, and includes images such as 12 Short Walks 00002 is an etching which looks like a charcoal drawing. I'm not so taken within paintings because I struggle to see the point of photorealism and on the computer it's hard to tell that they have been painted, maybe I would change my view if I saw them in real life.

I can't find the title of this piece by Sarah Woodbine but I admire it's simplicity. She has placed some of her drawings in perspex boxes and  snow globes the style reminds me of Andrea Joseph, I wonder who influenced who?

Tim Garner has done a lot of paintings of the Manchester area which are reminiscent of L S Lowry, like this I'm not sure it works when he tried to mix things up such as here but sometimes it works such as in Chester Rd.

He reminds me of Ken Howard who is one of my favourite artists, particularly his London scenes I admire the way he can suggest light on water or rain soaked streets with just a few brush strokes. Working a very different style David Gentleman also depicts London in a much more illustrative style with elements of sketch or cartoon. Looking through the images in the link he employs a variety of styles and there is the direct lively feeling of a sketchbook in his work.

The wonderful Urban Sketchers website lead me to the work of Delpine Priollaud. Wonderful semiabstract landscapes full of colour

No comments: