Saturday 1 November 2014

Exercise - Experimenting with textures

I did this exerecise from the old format so my squares are smaller than they should be. I started working with a dip pen to challenge myself
There are a few splodges when the nib caught and deposited ink. The hardness of the pen makes it difficult to represent soft textures and when the nib is loaded it is harder to draw lightly. The quality of the paper made it impossible to smudge or smear the ink
I then tried charcoal which is easier to represent softer textures and was easier to manipulate once it had been applied.
The frottage exercise produced some surprising results
I used a graphite stick to make the rubbings to try and capture the textures. The wall was rougher than I expected and the chopping board smoother.

No comments: