Tuesday 5 May 2015

Exercise 4 - Energy

Short poses each about 10 minutes.            .
Pencil
Graphite stick
Pencil
Graphite
Conte
Researching drawn representation of movement I read Chapter 16 of Ian Simpson's Drawing Seeing and Observation which was a set text in a previous course. He is of the opinion that drawing cannot represent movement which sounds a bit defeatist to me especially when you get people like Ron Tiner in his book Figure Drawing without a Model doing a pretty good job to my eyes. He is maybe more representational than artistic but his explanation of the "definitive moment" being the best pose to represent a fluid action makes visual sense to me.

I looked for artists who have managed to create a sense of movement. Eddie Pena and Veronica Lawlor, Rob Appleby Christopher Williams What seems to unite them is a lack of detail. Eddie Pena and Veronica Lawlor use continuous line to seek out the form of the figure. I tried some experiments in my sketchbook.


It needs practice by I think the continuous line technique has potential. It worked better when I had a definite view of my subject, fleeting glimpses didn't give me enough time to assess what I wanted to record. All of these drawings were done from the window of my front room watching passers by on the street so I had very limited time to draw them but had the advantage of being unobserved (and as it was very windy I didn't blow away!)

No comments: