Sunday 24 May 2015

Project 5 - The moving figure Exercises 1 and 2

The course notes direct me to David Haines. The link supplied doesn't work but I like the feeling of movement in Radiant BodiesNew balance sneakers vs KFC bucket is slightly disturbing. Both of these drawings sit better with me than Boy with a laptop which is stiff and frozen in space. In contrast I really like the work of Richard Hambleton which has loads of energy. He must have influenced this illustration.
Whilst researching I stumbled on Liz Milburn who draws and paints figures engaged in sport. She uses a variety of techniques from simple line to loose brushstrokes to give the feeling of action.
Also there are some images from an advertising campaign here which use curved strokes to describe a running figure which I feel is successful.

I've combined exercises one and two in one post because the drawings I've done overlap so much. When the subject is live figures you just have to grab the moment and draw what you see before they run away.

 As usual there are a lot of drawings, I have spared you by not scanning them all. The 2 pages above were done of people walking past my window so I had very little time to capture them. I started out with felt tip and quickly moved to a fineliner. The drawings on the first sheet where I didn't take the pen off the paper are surprisingly lively. This is a technique I borrowed from Veronica Lawlor

 People in the park drawn in a A5 sketchbook with graphite pencil, colour added afterwards with coloured pencils
 People waiting for a train (pencil sketches)

 Experiments with smudged charcoal and continuous line looking for a better way to describe movement.

 More live figures with a fibre tipped pen and added coloured pencil on coloured paper.
Workmen in pencil with added yellow pencil.
And trying to draw Eurovision off the TV. I started with graphitint pencil but quickly changed to fineliner with red pencil.

I need to make myself draw my stolen models with a background. I get so caught up in capturing their movement I leave them just floating in space. The quick sketchy drawings work better than my more finished drawings of skateboarders for Assignment 3. I need to workout how to blend this style into a more complex background.

No comments: