Monday 4 May 2015

Tutor feedback

My tutor suggested I lookout the work of Ellen Altfest for her contrast of quiet and busy subjects. Her compositions are interesting and unusual but I'm not a fan of her slightly hyper realistic style. He also suggested developing the fracture viewpoints of some of the earlier pieces. This is something I have never tried before although accidentally I have sketchbooks full of fractured viewpoints as I try and fit lots of different images onto the page.  I would like to see Lisa Milroy's A day in the studio in full size. I like the idea of the series of postcard like images and I am drawn to the everyday and the ordinary.
He comments on my measured way of working which I think I understand though I have always thought that I am drawn to the figurative, but the measured is probably a better way of describing what I am trying to achieve. I want to balance this with loosened and spontaneity to keep things lively, I don't like hyper realism. He pointed me to Bernadette Kiely who creates atmospheric, loose but believable (measured) paintings and drawings of landscapes, and  Hughie O Donoghue His figures have a rather gory feel to me, he is very fond of reddish orange tints mixed with black and flesh tones. I do quite like his landscapes.
Stephen Brandes does very literal looking drawings of imaginary places. I like the way he combines words with his images but I am a little confused by the use of lino as a support. the pattern can be distracting in some of the pictures but maybe that is the point. It must make for a lovely big surface to draw on.

No comments: