Monday 25 May 2015

Project 6 Exercise 1 - Facial features

So I started with noses in biro and then coloured pencil
Then went on to eyes, ears and mouths (and a few more noses.....)
It's hard to make a feature look right without it being part of the face as a whole, especially mouths. I also struggled to keep focused drawing from small photos in magazines or on the internet of dull identikit models who have little character.

I looked at drawings by Graham Little . His models are so still the might be dead, the very antithesis of the earlier exercise looking at movement. In contrast I prefer Elizabeths Peyton's drawings because they look like real people who could get up and walk away at any time. As noted before I loved John Singer Sargent's drawings and Cezannes sketch of his wife. Scott Burdick's drawings are so much more interesting than his paintings although the paintings are very good. Mary Cassatt's paintings and drawings of women and children are lovely and not too formal and I like this self portrait by Camile Pissarro. I wish I had seen this exhibition of the drawings of Watteau who was an absolutely amazing draughtsman.

No comments: